Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Green Smoothie Pops {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

Pin It Green Smoothie Pops

Okay, so green smoothies are nothing new.  But they are still good and good for you.  Plus, they're great for those with food allergies because they can be made without dairy and tweaked to accommodate allergies and preferences.  Frankly, its the only way I'm going to eat kale.  Even my children enjoy a good green smoothie, although my 8 year old son refused to try it for the longest time just because it was green.  Now he admits he likes them too.  

So we were going along, enjoying our green smoothie at breakfast when my daughter suggested we turn it into green smoothie pops and enjoy them in the hot afternoon.  Great idea!  So now we have a cool and refreshing, sweet and satisfying afternoon snack to look forward to.   You gotta try it!

My littlest one is a big fan!
As for the smoothie pop recipe, you gotta start with a good green smoothie recipe.  Most folks don't really follow a recipe when making a smoothie.  Its more of a "little of this and a little of that" sort of thing.  But I like to have a basic recipe to start with, so I'll share mine with you.  Feel free to add or subtract as your led. As a side note, the majority of smoothie recipes rely on banana to give them some body and sweetness, but one of my children HATES bananas.  She literally gags when someone eats one near her.  So to make a smoothie she enjoys we just replace the banana with peach.  The peach still adds body and sweetness and doesn't offend banana-haters.



Green Smoothie {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

  • Peaches (15 oz can in pear juice) or 2 fresh peaches
  • Orange juice (1 cup)
  • Kale (1 large handful which is about 1 cup torn leaves smooshed into a measuring cup)
  • Ground Chia or Flaxseed (2 TBSP)  This is an optional ingredient, but once you read about the amazing nutritional value of chia, you'll want to include it.
  • Coconut Oil (2 TBSP)  Again, optional but adds nutritional value (read up on the benefits of coconut oil)
  • Ice cubes (If you're blender doesn't do ice cubes, just toss a few in your glass)
Toss all the ingredients into your blender, and blend till smooth (about 2 minutes).  This makes about 3 cups.  Just so ya know, if you are like me and long for but don't have a Vitamix blender, you'll do just fine with a smaller and cheaper one like the smoothie/blender set that I have and love.  It comes with 4 individual tumblers plus a 4-cup blender.  And its soooooo easy to clean!  Ours gets used every day.  

Anyway, now that you've got your smoothie made, simply pour some of it into a popsicle maker and freeze. There you have it.

7 comments:

  1. We love smoothies...and homemade popsicles around here but I've never turned a smoothie into a popsicle. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds lovely. I have a similar one with an orange juice base and peaches. It's a gorgeous combination. There are loads of people who don't eat bananas and I really must provide more banana-less smoothies for them.
    It's so funny kids don't like green food until they try it. I don't blame them though as I'm not a fan of raw kale either, but I do love kale chips, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the idea of your Smoothie Pops and your little one is just adorable! Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good and healthy! Thanks for sharing on foodie friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am going to have to try this!!! They look amazing!!! Hope my kids will like them :)
    Thank you for sharing with us at Healthy 2Day Wednesday! Come back again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks soooooo cool ! (double meaning of-course)
    Sounds delicious and I love the idea of it being healthy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this and so would my kids! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We are building a great set of gluten free recipes so far! Its making my meal planning easy :) How about yours? See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.